America's Home Place Custom Home Builder Nashville - Story of the Build

 Hello!

If you are looking for a custom home builder near Nashville or Franklin, this is our story.  We choose to share it to help others make an informed decision when looking for America's Home Place Reviews of the Nashville or Mt. Juliet branch. 

Our experience was eye opening.  

Here is the first day the supplies for the house arrived.  This was just after they had broke ground several month after we signed on.

This was when we still believe the America's Home Place was good and we didn't need to fear handing our hard earned money over to them. 

A couple of RED FLAGS did occur, but it was the beginning so we weren't overly concerned. 

RED FLAGS:

The city DID NOT pass the foundation because they neglected to put the proper drainage on the crawlspace wall. They cut corners and placed one.  The city required two.  They ended up busting a hole in the foundation and using non-hydraulic cement to seal the drain. As the owners, we were unaware that this would cause HUGE drainage issues later on in the build which we had to fight to get fixed. 

At this time, Bobby, the general manager, told me that I would have to come back to the office and select new kitchen cupboards.  When I questioned it, I was told it was just something new they were doing and that they no longer could get the cupboards on my contract.  Knowing that had signed a contract and that the cupboard place they used when I signed it was in business, I put my foot down. 

I DID go spend a lot of my time looking at their new crappy selection. The difference in quality of what I signed on a document/contract and what they were trying to make me take was ridiculous. We are talking the difference between a McDonald's Happy meal burger and a Ruth Chris Burger.   The original cabinets were also an upgrade that I had selected and paid for.  This was after HOURS of design consults and trying to figure out what I wanted in my home for years to come.  They were trying to sell me crappy particle board cupboards and saying they were better quality than the real wood ones I had selected.   After continual denial of the cupboards I wanted, they offered to let me go to their new cupboard person and select ones that would be similar to what I had already upgraded. 

I took time to do this and found a very nice comparable cupboard.  It was an upgrade to what they were trying to get me to take but an almost exact match of the upgrade I had already paid and selected for.  They never got back to me as to whether or not they would honor it.   It took MONTHS for me to run into several other problems before a new guy told me that I was lied to and that I indeed could get my original cabinets.   The stress alone of not knowing was beginning to build.  My distrust in them beginning to build as well. 

A good portion of our allotted funds were allocated towards the digging of the lot just in case we hit stone.  We didn't.  When I asked about the extra monies and where it would go, I was pushed aside and told to wait and see what might happen or be needed in other areas.   Another red flag.   After digging the foundation and pouring it, there is very little that would change monetary wise in a build.  It becomes a matter of paid labor and supply purchase.  That should be a no brainer for a quality builder with cookie cutter design. 

The jobsite started to collect piles of trash during this time too. This was just the beginning of a total lack of respect for the neighborhood and the land they were building on. To this day, I still have nails in my land, random pieces of plywood stuck deep in the dirt and a literal cinderblock underground and buried beside the pile of sand they left where no grass will grow.

Comments