America's Homeplace Nashville - New project manager (sort of)

We were given a new project manager.  This is good because the project manager prior has lied to us (or told fibs unintentionally...hard to be lient on this) about so many items that are still sore thumbs months and months later in our build. 

So, we are yet again not holding our breathe this time.  

So far I like his communication skills but the workmanship continues to have me drawing questions.  

For one, our interior doors look like they came from another jobsite.  They are stained, crooked in places and have been water damaged.  I'm waiting to see the remedy. The one new door that showed up with all the proper tags and packaging that says "I am new!" Is ruined from water and and careless handling.  

Here's some photos.  I'll take more later and write more. 

In the meantime, enjoy.  

Here is the one new door...
Lovered Door - Was "repaired" but still has area where this damage is noticeably different.

This is a photo of the louvered door for our air unit. As you can see...not so new.  As of July 2019 they repaired it but you can still see where the repair is and it needs sanded to a finer finish.  




It doesn't look too bad until you look closer and realize it can't be sanded.., (UPDATE -- They repaired it somehow but it needs to be sanded down to match the rest of the door...otherwise, it's old new. )



Close up of the damage on the door. They pushed it down, glued it and painted it.   They need to sand it now. 



This is one of the bedroom walls. It looks pretty good. They had minimal areas that needed sanded so I appreciate the craft of the drywall mud guy/gal.  




More drywall.




 This is our Master Bedroom. I love the view of the tree tops. It's wonderful. 






This is the Master Bath. That shower wall right there had some serious issues. They had to tear down the whole end of it and now it sits waiting to get drywall again.  The problem is they already did the flooring...so it's another repair on top of a repair.  I will be interested in seeing how they fix it all. 




Here is my crooked Wall.  Nicely trimmed but still very crooked.  Again...check out the line of the wall from top to bottom .,..It's horrendous. You see that at least the trim guy had the common sense to move some of the debris out of the way...but sadly a wasted effort.  This bottom whole side of the wall needs replaced 


Thank goodness they took this down. I would have lost my mind every time I took a shower. 



Can you see what's going on here?  Is this acceptable?  It's not as blatantly obvious as the wall or the none passiveness of the "passive" drain system but it is adding to the list of items needing more quality control.  (UPDATE: With the carpet in, you only notice this if you look for it. It's passable.)

Here you can see why this wall being crooked is an issue (other than IT IS CROOKED!).  See the cracks in the drywall mud?  This is a wall next to a shower so water will continually influence the interaction between the torque caused by the way they shoved this in over debris and the plaster trying to cover the mistake. Physics will always win my friends. ., This will be a problem walk for a hundred years if it's not fixed now. 



Back bedroom. This bedroom is actually one of the America's Home Place of Nashville's best rooms in my house. It has only had a small issue with water damage on the left window sill.  I've stopped asking them to sand and repair it, but it's minimal compared to other things going on. 

Frame gap from crooked door.  Probably half the doors in the house have this.  I'll go back and take more door photos.  I've noticed an interesting issue with the side door seam too.  What I've learned is that America's Homeplace isn't the guy if you want high quality doors.  You get water damaged and possibly scrap from another jobsite though. Busy for being green I guess.   
(UPDATE:  This door is still crooked and framed in.  It seems that they are not going to be replacing it. ...Ho hum. That gap is nearly an inch. )

I am super interested in this trim application. It's consistent throughout so I will be sure to take before and after caulking photos so anyone else that freaks about this will know what to expect.  UPDATE -  They caulked it and I don't even notice it anymore.  It was interesting to see..that's for sure!



p
This window is the only one left that has an issue. On the lower Right, the wood sill around the window is damaged.  It literally has a chunk of wood missing from it.  It is also missing trim around the top sill and it's unlocked right now.  I can't reach it to lock and close it...so I hope the do something about it before move in. 





More crooked Wall I can't decide if bad or not. This one would seem less obvious with carpet but if I ever do solid flooring this will be obvious.  With carpet in, I do not notice this at all. 

Ugh... I just hate this so much.   Who leaves work like that?  It's crazy. The subcontractor should know better.  It's just so unacceptable. 



This is an interesting build mishap. For some reason the builders made a huge doorway.  I almost think they could have made one of those neat arch ways but they framed it the proper size and now, even today...months later... this is how it sits.  I suspect it will be repaired with the holes they cut in the ceiling before move in.   It's blue taped.  Hopefully they have a masterful drywall repair person. 



The middle project manager (Mr. Smiles) made a big deal about putting up ferrying strips so that the drywall would fit nicely around the tub surround with no gap.  Does anyone see an issue with that idea and the reality of what happened?   Today it sits in the same finish...a huge gap between the drywall and the tube and I have absolutely no clue what their plan it here. Trim?  



There it is again..ugh. 


Hey!  That's not so bad. 



Clearly I was upset by this wall with all these photos.   

This looks like a small gap at the bottom of a door. No biggie. I'm not concerned about this door. 


Here's something I love about Nashville's Custom Home Builder - America's Home Place ....  They allow you to create a CUSTOM home from their starter models.  This Jack and Jill Bathroom was created early on while we negotiated pricing, add ons and floor plans.  It is not on their original floor plan for The Hill (our America's Home Place model) but they worked with us to make it our own.   
I like that a lot!


side note: The electric going to the house was supposed to have 99 degree bend but instead it's a huge diagonal straight to the side of the house.  What's disappointing here is that we agreed with the electrical guy to have it moved from the back of the house in the blue prints because we were lied to about the requirements of a 99 degree bend...??

So now...if we ever want a garage or there needs to be repair done..the entire driveway will needed dug up.  This is definitely not what we agreed to but whatever is all I have left.  So they saved money on wire..,There's that "principle over profit" mantra again. I'm still trying to see where they apply that saying. What exactly are the principles is probably what I should be asking. 


I've been frustrated with this build.  I have a lot to catch up on. I've had to follow up on all sorts of things the whole time and we are at the end of the tunnel with over 40 items on a punch list. 
I would LOVE for those things to be out of my mind when we move it.....which was supposed to be in May.   Now as I look at this photo, I think of the "free" gable they were going to put over the front door to help prevent the leaks it's having, the manufacturere's defective roof ridge vent that needs replaced, the top of my chimney that needs to be covered/trimmed properly so no wood is exposed as it is now, and the sidewalk and driveway I was promised that I now have to somehow negotiate about.   Then..there's the road repair (more about that later).

Well...It's July and as I edit the content on this post and reflect back on what was done and still needs to be done, I am just looking forward to the relief of move in day so I can just cut my losses and move on with whatever America's Home Place of Nashville chooses to leave me. 






Stay tuned. I'll update everything as we go along. Hopefully only three weeks left...but we shall see. 


Comments